How to Solve
"I don't have work experience" Problem (Part 3)


How to Solve
"I don't have work experience" Problem (Part 3)

Written by Thanh Quach @thanhquach

March 2, 2021 (Updated)

(3 minutes read)

In Part 2, we know that you should appreciate and focus on your part-time job experience. Now, it is time to learn how to present it in an “attractive manner”.

Step 3 – How to present your part-time work experience in an attractive manner

Firstly, we need to know what is “attractive” to the hiring manager so that we can present “that thing” she wants to read.

She wants to see the required skills that are necessary to do the jobs such as junior accountant or finance administrator. Surprisingly, the top skills she is looking for is not accounting/finance knowledge or work experience. Accounting/Finance knowledge is important, but I can guarantee you that this thing is only account for 10% of her attention. The remaining 90% of her attention will be toward:

  1. The ability to process data correctly (detailed oriented)
  2. The ability to communicate clearly
data processing and communication

Most finance/accounting entry-level jobs are all back-office jobs. That means, you will have to process some kinds of data, like invoices, reports…etc and you need to convince her that you have this skill. Then, you need to talk and explain to her while working together right? That means clear and easy-to-understand communication skills.

Communicating doesn’t mean just talking, everybody can talk lol. That’s why sometimes you have no idea what some people are talking about, such as your professors.

Communicating is all about “what to say” and “how to say” things. Let’s get into an example.

Let’s meet Bob, a fresh graduate working at Tim Hortons. When writing his resume, he is kind of thinking like this “Oh, let’s see what I did at Tim Hortons, let’s write down these things”, he then gets on Google, gets some templates and general advice, editing a bit and here is the result:

resume description

Now, imagine, she must read this 100 times, because the other 100 candidates, who apply for this job, just do the same thing. She will get tired of reading this kind of work description. This thing is not attractive because there is no difference.

Guess what? Even if Bob is lucky to get to the interview round, this is probably what he will tell her about his work experience at Tim Hortons.  Again, she will need to hear this 10 times from other 10 candidates. he can’t differentiate himself and more importantly, this is not what she wants.

So, what does she wants? The answer is simple: accurate data processing and great communication. But how can we show that?

Let’s see how Andy, one of our students, turns his work at Tim Hortons into “what she wants” and getting 4 interviews in a few weeks.

resume description

Why does this kind of work description give the hiring manager what she wants?

Because when she read the 1st bullet point, she can see that Andy has some communication skills and this is probably his main task at Tim Hortons.

Then, when she read the 2nd and 3rd bullet points, she feels like:

“Ok, processing data, checking inventory, reconciliation…ummm…this data process skill is very similar to what the accountants are doing here in my office. This is what I am looking for, so I will call Andy in for an interview.”

So what’s wrong with Bob’s work description?

Oh, I probably don’t call Bob because he spends all bullet points on just talking about how he greets customers and makes coffee, which is nice but I don’t need those skills here for a back-office job.

Moreover, the fact that he doesn’t know how to present his profile attractively already tells me he might need to improve his communication skill and telling me what values/skills he can offer. From his work description, I just simply don’t see what I need.”

You should focus on describing your back-office tasks even though you are working at the front for most part time jobs from restaurants, coffee shops, malls, nail salons…etc  because those are the skills that the hiring manager needs.

Summary

There are 3 key takeaways from this series of dealing with work experience requirement:

  1. You don’t need finance/accounting work experience to get an entry-level job and stop getting frustrated because you don’t have “minimum of 1 year accounting/finance experience”.
  2. Appreciating your part-time jobs and focus on the “good stuff”.
  3. Describing your part-time jobs in a back-office oriented manner to create an attractive work description that satisfies the hiring manager’ needs.

 

It’s time for you to take actions now to get your job offer asap!

Struggling with Job Search?

Don't Forget To Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on whatsapp
Share on reddit

Subscribe

Get Tips and Resources to Get Your Dream Entry-Level Job

Share this: